BOSTON — The two-time Boston Marathon champion turned onto Boylston Street with a sliver of a lead, leaning in front of two others with the finish line in sight.But one of them was Lawrence Cherono, the fastest man in the field. And he used every bit of his speed.Cherono outkicked Lelisa Desisa in a sprint to the tape, passing him just steps away from the finish line to win the 123rd Boston Marathon in 2 hours, 7 minutes 57 seconds on Monday, claiming his first major victory.Lawrence Cherono, of Kenya, holds the trophy after winning the 123rd Boston Marathon, on Monday, April 15, 2019, in Boston. (AP Photo/Winslow Townson)Desisa, the Ethiopian who won the 2013 race that was marred by the finish line bombing and claimed a second victory in ’15, eased up after realizing he was beaten and finished 2 seconds back. Kenneth Kipkemoi was third, another 8 seconds behind, one of seven Kenyans in the top 10.Worknesh Degefa broke away from defending champion Des Linden and the rest of the women’s pack in the Framingham flats and ran alone for the last 20 miles to her first victory in a major marathon. The 28-year-old Ethiopian finished in 2:23:31 to become the eighth Ethiopian woman to win the race and the third in seven years.Kenya’s Edna Kiplagat was second, reducing a gap of more than two minutes to 42 seconds at the finish. American Jordan Hasay was third and Linden was fifth.One year after an icy rain and a near-gale headwind resulted in the slowest winning times in four decades, race organizers again prepared for the foul New England weather. But overnight thunderstorms moved on before the runners left Hopkinton; the sun even made an appearance about halfway through.Linden took advantage of last year’s storm to splash her way to the first win for an American woman since 1985.But with conditions back to normal, so were the results: East Africans from Kenya and Ethiopia dominating the podiums.A field of 30,000 runners followed the elites, ditching their trash bags and ponchos on the Hopkinton Green before embarking on the 26.2-mile trek from Hopkinton to Copley Square. It’s the first time the race has been run on April 15 since the 2013 attacks; officials planned a ceremony at 2:49 p.m. to honor those killed or maimed by the two pressure cooker bombs that exploded near the finish line.Daniel Romanchuk, 20, became the youngest-ever men’s wheelchair champion in Boston. He finished in 1:21:36 for the fastest time ever for an American.Manuela Schar won the women’s wheelchair race for the second time, adding it to her titles in in Berlin, Chicago, New York and Tokyo. If she wins in London in two weeks, she will have swept the World Marathon Major series.“I was just really happy that the weather turned out to be actually really nice,” said Schar, who set a course record in 2017. “When we drove to that starting line, it looked really really bad and I was worried because last year was still in our heads, and I had a really bad experience last year. Today I would say (was) unfinished business.”By: Jimmy Golen, AP Sports WriterTweetPinShare0 Shares
Facebook will use Canada as a testing ground as it rolls out new ad transparency features and increases scrutiny of political advertising.The social media giant said that starting next month Canadian users will be able click “View Ads” on a Facebook page to view what ads it is running on the main platform, as well as Messenger and Instagram.Facebook also said in its blog post Friday that all ads will be required to be associated with a page, which are often used by companies or groups.It will start testing these features in Canada and roll it out by next summer to other countries including the U.S., ahead of the midterm elections in November.“Starting in Canada was a natural choice as this effort aligns with our election integrity work already underway there,” wrote Facebook’s vice president of ads Rob Goldman.Facebook has come under fire for its role in the November 2016 U.S. presidential election, and the dissemination of so-called “fake news” on its platform. It disclosed last month that it found ads linked to fake accounts, likely run from Russia, that sought to influence the election.Also earlier this month, Facebook Canada said it was launching a “Canadian Election Integrity Initiative” ahead of the 2019 federal election. This was in response to a report by the Communications Security Establishment (CSE) in June that predicted that Canada is “very likely” to be the target of hackers before the vote.As part of the initiative, Facebook said it was launching a crisis line for Canadian politicians to use if their email accounts come under cyberattack. As well, the social media giant says it will partner with MediaSmarts to roll out a digital news literacy campaign.On Thursday, Facebook said that the initial test of its new ad transparency features will only show active ads. However, once implemented in the U.S., it plans to build an archive of federal-election related ads.For each current and historical federal-election related ad, Facebook will provide detailed information including the total amounts spent, the number of impressions, and demographics of the audience reached.As well, beginning with the U.S. federal elections before expanding to other jurisdictions, Facebook will require more detailed documentation from political advertisers in order to verify their identity. Once verified, advertisers will have to include disclosures in election related ads that read “Paid for by,” it said.“For political advertisers that do not proactively disclose themselves, we are building machine learning tools that will help us find them and require them to verify their identity,” Goldman wrote.
PRINCE GEORGE, B.C. – Prince George RCMP received multiple 911 calls reporting a collision on Highway 97 approximately 10 kilometres north of Bear Lake between a commercial transport truck and a passenger vehicle on Sunday, June 30, 2019, at about 4:20 pm.According to the RCMP, upon arrival, it was determined that a southbound commercial transport truck and a northbound passenger vehicle with three occupants had collided head-on. The driver of the transport truck was not injured. The driver and one passenger in the vehicle died in the collision and the remaining person was transported by air ambulance to the hospital.At the time of the collision, the road and weather conditions were excellent.Prince George Regional Traffic Services (PGRTS), the Collision Analysis and Reconstruction Service, Commercial Vehicle and Safety Enforcement officers and the BC Coroners’ Service continue to investigate the cause of the collision and nothing has been ruled out at this early stage.Anyone with information regarding this collision, including any dash camera video, is asked to call PGRTS in Prince George at 250-649-4004 and quote file 2019-400.No further information is available at this time.
New Delhi: Former Kolkata Police Commissioner Rajeev Kumar alleged in the Supreme Court that CBI targeted him in the Saradha Chit fund case due to “mala fide intent” and “conflict of interest” of former interim CBI director M Nageshwara Rao as his family members were under the scanner post-demonetisation.Kumar alleged that post demonetisation in November 2016, investigation was initiated into some shell companies that prima facie were involved in receiving massive deposits and an FIR was registered. Also Read – India gets first tranche of Swiss bank a/c detailsDuring the probe of shell companies, the role of one firm Agela Mercantiles Pvt Ltd came under the scanner for collecting money from public unauthorisedly, he said, alleging that during a further investigation of the case names of wife and daughter of Rao have come to light and the matter is being further probed. “The mala fide intent of the petitioner/CBI herein especially in light of the fact that February 3, 2019, a Sunday, was the last day in office of the interim CBI Director, is writ large on account of the conflict of interest, in the instant matter,” Kumar said in his 89-page affidavit.
New Delhi: Congress leader Sonia Gandhi’s son-in-law Robert Vadra on Friday said the country’s politics was at an all-time low and desperate measures were visible as Prime Minister Narendra Modi made a personal attack on former PM Rajiv Gandhi, accusing him of using a Naval warship for a holiday. “Politics at an all time low …Desperate measures are visible. Hitting out at an assassinated Prime minister Shri Rajiv Gandhi, to mislead the people of India. A person who cannot defend himself… Also Read – 2019 most peaceful festive season for J&K: Jitendra Singh “We the family will strive for his vision and the people of India will. Fight for his dignity and respect. It’s only time, for a respectful change in our country,” he wrote on Twitter and Facebook. Vadra is married to Congress general secretary Priyanka Gandhi Vadra, the daughter of UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi. A controversy broke out on Thursday over Modi’s allegation that Rajiv Gandhi had used INS Viraat as a “personal taxi” for a holiday, a charge rejected by the Congress as well as former Navy chief Admiral (retd) L Ramdas and a former commanding officer of the aircraft carrier.
Strikers stole the show Saturday as the Columbus Crew defeated the Vancouver Whitecaps FC, 2-1.Columbus Crew forward Emilio Renteria battled with Vancouver Whitecaps FC forward Omar Salgado. Both players dominated portions of the game, but the Crew — and Renteria — had the last word in the their 2-1 victory against the Whitecaps.Renteria began to single-handedly dominate play at the outset of the second half after Columbus (3-1-3) and Vancouver (1-4-3) went into halftime in a scoreless tie.In the 49th minute, Renteria streaked from the top of the Vancouver penalty area to collect a loose ball, and collided with Whitecaps goalkeeper Jay Nolly. Referee Terry Vaughn decided Nolly had played Renteria’s body, as opposed to playing the ball, and awarded a penalty kick to Columbus.Crew midfielder Robbie Rogers said there was no question about who would take the penalty kick.“I just went to go congratulate (Renteria),” Rogers said. “I thought he did a good job to get his body in front of the keeper. I didn’t even ask him. I think if a guy draws a penalty like that, he should take it himself.”After receiving congratulations from Rogers, Renteria buried his penalty in the left corner of Nolly’s net to give Columbus a 1-0 lead in the 50th minute.Renteria wasn’t done yet.Crew midfielder Dejan Rusmir provided an opportunity for a second goal in the 59th minute when he played Renteria into Vancouver’s penalty area. Nolly dove to stop the shot but couldn’t get a hand on Renteria’s left-footed strike, and the Crew took a 2-0 lead.“Normally, I never score with the left,” Renteria said through an interpreter. “This is the first time.”Salgado, the first overall pick in the 2011 MLS SuperDraft, had a response for Renteria.In the 69th minute, Salgado scored a headed goal off midfielder Terry Dunfield’s lobbed cross into the Crew’s penalty area. Columbus goalkeeper William Hesmer dove to his left, but Salgado sent the ball back across the goal to Hesmer’s right.The goal, Salgado’s career first, cut Vancouver’s deficit to 2-1. After the game, Hesmer was complimentary of the Whitecaps’ heralded 17-year-old striker.“It was a great header,” Hesmer said. “He did well in getting in between two defenders and finding space. And he puts (the ball) back against the grain, which was a tough one for me.”In the 77th minute, Salgado broke through Columbus’ defensive line again and took an uncontested shot that would have tied the game. Hesmer sprawled to make one of his two saves in the matchup and kept the Crew’s lead intact.By the time Renteria was substituted out of the game in the 78th minute, he had already given the Crew the offense they needed. Salgado was unable to match Renteria’s production, and Columbus hung on for a 2-1 victory.Crew midfielder Eddie Gaven said Renteria created “too many problems” for Vancouver.“He scored two great goals, obviously,” Gaven said. “That’s what we need, someone to just put the ball in the back of the net, and that’s kinda what we haven’t had throughout the year.”Renteria, who has scored three goals in the Crew’s past two games, will attempt to continue his offensive surge against Seattle Sounders FC at 7:30 p.m. Saturday at Crew Stadium.
Facebook0TwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享Update 10:13am Tsunami warnings mean that a tsunami with significant inundation is possible or is already occurring. Tsunamis are a series of waves dangerous many hours after initial arrival time. The first wave may not be the largest.Estimated tsunami start times for selected sites are;Kodiak Alaska 925 AM. AKST. November 30.Seward Alaska 930 AM. AKST. November 30.Homer Alaska 1145 AM. AKST. November 30. Update: 9:45am THE TSUNAMI WARNING IS CANCELED FOR THE COOK INLET AREAAND SOUTHERN KENAI PENINSULA IN ALASKA…No tsunami danger presently exists for this area.This will be the final U.S. National Tsunami Warning Center message for this region. Refer to the internet site tsunami.gov for more information. A Tsunami Warning is currently in effect in the Homer and Seward areas.Staff and children from these schools are evacuating to higher ground at Homer High School: Fireweed Academy; Homer Flex School; Homer Middle School; Paul Banks Elementary School; West Homer Elementary School. Seward schools are evacuating to Seward High School. The National Weather Service has issued a tsunami warning, if you are located in this coastal area, move inland to higher ground. The tsunami warning will remain in effect until further notice. Refer to the internet site tsunami.gov for more information. Original Post: At 829am an earthquake with preliminary magnitude 7.2 followed by a 5.7 occurred 10 miles north of Anchorage on Friday morning. The Central Kenai Peninsula including Kenai and Soldotna area are not in the tsunami area warning.