Japan on Friday vowed to step up testing and containment efforts for the coronavirus after suffering its first death and the confirmation of new cases, including a doctor and a taxi driver.Japan’s health ministry said Thursday that a woman in her 80s living in Kanagawa prefecture, west of Tokyo, had died. She had been transferred between hospitals as her condition worsened and she was only confirmed to have had the coronavirus after her death.Her death brings to three the number of fatalities from the virus outside Mainland China, where the virus emerged in the city of Wuhan in December and some 1,367 people have died. One person has died in Hong Kong and one in the Philippines. There are nearly 450 confirmed cases in some 24 countries and territories outside China, with 33 in Japan and another 218 on a cruise ship quarantined at a Japanese port.A Tokyo taxi driver, who Japanese media said was the woman’s son-in-law, as well as a man in his 20s just east of Tokyo and a doctor in Wakayama, western Japan, were also confirmed to have the virus.”We will stay in touch with local governments and expand our testing procedures and treatment of patients in order to prevent the spread,” Prime Minister Shinzo Abe told reporters, a day after a task force on the disease drew up measures to deal with it, including spending 10.3 billion yen from budget reserves.Planners will also keep in close contact with Japan’s military, chief cabinet secretary Yoshihide Suga told a news conference, without giving details. Officials in Wakayama later said a man who had been hospitalized at the hospital where the doctor worked had tested positive for the virus, and that another three people were being observed.Both Suga and health minister Katsunobu Kato said there was no evidence the coronavirus, dubbed SARS-CoV-2, was spreading widely in Japan, although Kato said that it might, and the government needed prepare for that.The government would send a team of experts to Wakayama, though officials there said they thought hospital transmission was unlikely.Getting off the ship Unease about the virus in Japan is spreading on social media, with some skeptics saying the government’s response resembled its reaction to the 2011 Fukushima nuclear accident, when it took time for the true extent of the disaster to emerge.”All their comments then were ‘there’s no immediate danger to health’ now they’re saying ‘in an epidemiological sense’ it’s not spreading,” wrote one with the handle Kanzu.”They’re trying to misrepresent it all.”Separately, some passengers on the cruise ship Diamond Princess, which has been moored Yokohama, south of Tokyo, were set to start disembarking as early as Friday instead of waiting for the originally target date of Feb. 19.Elderly passengers who have medical conditions or are in windowless rooms can complete their quarantine onshore, Kato said.The ship was quarantined on arrival in Yokohama on Feb. 3 after a man who disembarked in Hong Kong was diagnosed with the virus.About 80% of the ship’s passengers are 60 years old or older, with 215 in their 80s and 11 in their 90s, according to media. The ship, managed by Princess Cruise Lines and owned by Miami-based Carnival Corp, typically has a crew of 1,100 and a passenger capacity of 2,670.Separately, about 200 Japanese who returned from Wuhan on a second plane chartered by the government tested negative and left quarantine on Friday. Topics :
Read also: [UPDATED] Anti-COVID-19 initiatives: Helping Indonesia fight the outbreak“Some of the Rp 22 billion donation for Jakarta residents has been given to the Social Affairs Ministry on Tuesday in cash or vouchers amounting to Rp 2 billion. The donation has been handed over to Pak M. Syafii Nasution, the ministry’s social protection for disaster victims director,” Mayapada Group founder Dato Sri Tahir said in a statement on Friday.He added that donations were also handed over to the Jakarta Archdiocese and the Indonesian Communion of Churches (PGI), which would disburse the assistance to their congregations.“This is our first wave of donations to help efforts in fighting COVID-19,” Tahir said.Indonesian health authorities have confirmed 893 COVID-19 positive cases as of Thursday, with 78 fatalities and 35 recoveries. Jakarta is the hardest province hit by the outbreak with 515 positive cases and 46 deaths. (kuk)Topics : Diversified conglomerate Mayapada Group and the Tahir Foundation have donated Rp 52 billion (US$3.2 million) to people living in several provinces to help their efforts to contain the COVID-19 pandemic.Among the recipients were residents of Jakarta, the donations for whom were handed over to Istiqlal Mosque, which received Rp 22 billion, as well as West Java, Central Java and East Java which each received about Rp 10 billion.Apart from cash or shopping vouchers, Mayapada Group and Tahir Foundation also gave medical equipment such as face masks, infrared thermometers and hand sanitizers, as well as food and drinks from food company Orang Tua Group.
May 09, 2016 SHARE Email Facebook Twitter The Blog Governor Wolf was honored to speak, for the second year in a row, at the annual Civic Commemoration of the Holocaust at the State Capitol. This ceremony is held each year during the Days of Remembrance, which honors the memories of the millions of Jews and others lost during the Holocaust while renewing vows to stand against injustice and prejudice.Joining the governor at this solemn event was Senator Jake Corman, Senator Rob Teplitz, Representative Michael Schlossberg, and Senator Judy Schwank, as well as religious leaders and advocates. Together, they honored six local survivors, who lit memorial candles:Fira Kaganovsky (York)Rose Machelmacher (Harrisburg)Yolanda Rosenstein (Harrisburg)Bluma Shapiro (York)Ray Rosen in memory of Sam Rosen (Scranton)Dr. Mark Glick in memoria of Sonia Glick( Harrisburg) BLOG: The Importance of Holocaust Remembrance Days By: Megan Healey, Deputy Press Secretary Governor Wolf said the best way we can honor those lost is to ensure this never happens again.“Let us acknowledge today the power of ordinary actions,” Governor Wolf said. “And let us acknowledge the collective power of our ordinary actions in our day to day lives to keep extraordinary evil from ever happening again.”One way of working toward that goal is to provide Pennsylvania’s children with an understanding of the importance of the protection of human rights and the potential consequences of unchecked ignorance, discrimination, and persecution.Act 70 of 2014 encourages Pennsylvania schools to offer instruction related to the Holocaust, genocide, and human rights violations as part of social studies, language arts course, or other programs of study. Beginning in the 2015-2016 school year, the Pennsylvania Department of Education, under the leadership of Secretary Pedro Rivera and Governor Wolf, made training programs available for all 500 school districts. Moving forward, the law will require mandatory teaching of this curriculum if less than 90 percent of Pennsylvania schools have incorporated it on their own by the end of the 2016-2017 school year.For more information on the Holocaust and the annual Days of the Remembrance, visit the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum. Like Governor Tom Wolf on Facebook: Facebook.com/GovernorWolf
Share Sharing is caring! BusinessLifestyleNewsRegionalTravel LIAT probes rebate ticket scandal by: Antigua Observer – May 31, 2016 355 Views no discussions Tweet Antigua Observer An official at the cash-strapped regional airline, LIAT, confirmed that an “internal investigation” is under way into alleged financial discrepancies involving one of its employees at the company’s Coolidge headquarters.The confirmation came from LIAT’s Acting Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Julie Reifer Jones, who told OBSERVER media yesterday that the investigation was a “routine” measure which businesses undergo from time to time “if there are actions we consider suspect”.But according to our source, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, and who has close knowledge of the ongoing probe, the authorities are trying to determine whether the company’s executive benefited personally from issuing rebate tickets to travellers.The source said that not only did the individual issue a large number of discounted tickets, but the subject of the probe failed to pass on the correct taxes to the relevant authorities.Another source told to OBSERVER media that three individuals who received rebate tickets from the said LIAT employee were taken off flights over the weekend.It turned out that the relevant taxes were not paid.Our sources added the LIAT employee in question has not reported to work for more than a week since word of the scandal broke and is now in “hiding”, and that lawmen are also involved in the investigation.When we put that information to the LIAT CEO she responded: “I cannot confirm or deny that information.”Reifer-Jones told OBSERVER media that there has been “no change” in the status of the employee who she declined to name. Share Share
The pandemic’s relentless death marchacross the planet has already claimed more than 73,000 victims out of 1.32million confirmed cases, with warnings that much worse is yet to come. (AFP) LONDON – Britain’s prime minister wasbattling the coronavirus in intensive care Tuesday, the highest-profile case inthe pandemic as the United States and Europe saw their death tolls reach newmilestones. Boris Johnson’s fight against thedisease underscored the indiscriminate nature of COVID-19, which has restrictedfreedoms for some four billion people, wrecked the global economy and upendedsociety. British Prime Minister Boris Johnson is the most prominent figure to have been hospitalized with the coronavirus. AFP FILE PHOTO
MAQUOKETA, Iowa (June 9) – The margin of Jeremiah Hurst’s career first Hawkeye Dirt Tour feature win was measured in inches.And not very many of them.Hurst caught Ryan Maitland coming out of the final turn Tuesday at Jackson County Speedway and won the Xtreme Motor Sports IMCA Modified main event by not much more than a bumper.The $1,000 victory landed him on the ballot for the Fast Shafts All-Star Invitational. Hurst had started ninth, ran second much of the way in a caution-free 25-lapper and went to a higher line to get around Maitland and get the win.Justin Kay raced from 16th starting to third in his HDT debut. Ben Chapman was fourth while defending series champion Mike Van Genderen moved atop the point standings with his fifth place showing.Maitland had led 24-plus laps after starting from the pole and withstanding early pressure from Chapman.The second Hawkeye Dirt Tour event of the week is Thursday, June 11 at Southern Iowa Speedway in Oskaloosa.Feature results – 1. Jeremiah Hurst, Dubuque; 2. Ryan Maitland, Waterloo; 3. Justin Kay, Wheatland; 4. Ben Chapman, Clarence; 5. Mike Van Genderen, Newton; 6. Mitchell Morris, Eldridge; 7. Steve Johnson, Camanche; 8. Jeff Waterman, Quincy, Ill.; 9. Chris Zogg, New Liberty; 10. Ronn Lauritzen, Jesup; 11. Patrick Flannagan, Cedar Rapids; 12. Kyle Brown, Kellogg; 13. Nick Roberts, Des Moines; 14. David Brown, Kellogg; 15. Tyler Madigan, Peosta; 16. Joel Rust, Grundy Center; 17. Ray Cox Jr., Maquoketa; 18. Andrew Schroeder, Clive; 19. Dennis Betzer, Central City; 20. Thomas Patz, East Moline, Ill.; 21. Bob Dominacki, Bettendorf; 22. Jarod Struss, Davenport; 23. Jake Bowman, Maquoketa; 24. Kenny Kostenbader, Freeport, Ill.1st heat (top three) – 1. Zogg; 2. Waterman; 3, Struss; 4. Kostenbader; 5. Flannagan; 6. Madigan; 7. Cox; 8. Betzer.2nd heat – 1. Hurst; 2. Lauritzen; 3. Johnson; 4. Roberts; 5. Kay; 6. Hunter Wilson, Moline, Ill.; 7. Matt Irwin, Maquoketa.3rd heat – 1. Maitland; 2. Chapman; 3. Kyle Brown; 4. Rust; 5. Derek Thompson, Monroe, Wis.; 6. George Spence III, Sherrard, Ill.; 7. Bowman.4th heat – 1. Van Genderen; 2. Morris; 3. David Brown; 4. Schroeder; 5. Patz; 6. Joshua Starr, Tipton; 7. Dominacki.1st “B” feature – 1. Flannagan; 2. Madigan; 3. Cox; 4. Kostenbader; 5. Rust; 6. Betzer; 7. Thompson; 8. Bowman; 9. Spence.2nd “B” feature – 1. Roberts; 2. Kay; 3. Schroeder; 4. Dominacki; 5. Patz; 6. Wilson; 7. Starr; 8. Irwin.
March 29, 2019 Police Blotter032919 Decatur County EMS Report032919 Decatur County Fire Report032919 Decatur County Law Report032919 Decatur County Jail Report032919 Batesville Police Blotter
Joseph Donald Hofstetter 87, of Moores Hill, Indiana, passed away Tuesday March 17, 2020.He was born September 27, 1932 in Cincinnati, OH, son of the late Joseph P. Hofstetter and Catherine (Kendoll) Hofstetter.He served his country as a member of the United States Army during the Korean War.Joseph worked as a Insulator for Union Local 8.He was a member of Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.Joseph enjoyed spending time bird watching. In earlier years, he liked to travel with his wife of 63 years. Throughout his lifetime, Joseph loved spending time with his family.Joseph is survived by; daughters Karen Becker of Crittenden, KY, Diane Phillips of Burlington, KY, Rhea Hofstetter of Bridgetown, OH; Daughter-in-law, Petra Hofstetter of Middletown, OH; brother, Frederick (Joan) Hofstetter of Moores Hill, IN; sister-in-law, Darlene (late David) Hofstetter of Greendale, IN; 8 grandchildren, and 14 great-grandchildren and 1 great, great-granddaughter.He was preceded in death by parents; Joseph, and Catherine Hofstetter, wife, Betty J Hofstetter, Son, Joseph Daniel Hofstetter, and several siblings.Graveside services will be held at the convenience of the family.Contributions may be made to the Prestige Hospice. To make a contribution, contact the funeral home office at (812) 926-1450 and we will notify the family of your donation with a card.Visit: www.rullmans.com
Ball State, W. Michigan meet in conference play February 6, 2020 For more AP college basketball coverage: https://apnews.com/Collegebasketball and http://twitter.com/AP_Top25___This was generated by Automated Insights, http://www.automatedinsights.com/ap, using data from STATS LLC, https://www.stats.com Associated Press Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditBall State (13-9, 6-3) vs. Western Michigan (10-12, 3-6)University Arena in Read Fieldhouse, Kalamazoo, Michigan; Saturday, 4 p.m. ESTBOTTOM LINE: MAC foes meet as Ball State faces Western Michigan. Ball State took care of Kent State by eight in its last outing. Western Michigan is coming off a 64-60 win over Miami in its most recent game. STEPPING UP: Western Michigan’s Michael Flowers has averaged 17.9 points while Brandon Johnson has put up 14.8 points and eight rebounds. For the Cardinals, Tahjai Teague has averaged 15.2 points and 9.3 rebounds while Ishmael El-Amin has put up 13.6 points.TERRIFIC TAHJAI: Teague has connected on 29.2 percent of the 48 3-pointers he’s attempted and has gone 6 for 11 over the last three games. He’s also made 57.9 percent of his foul shots this season.SLIPPING AT 70: Ball State is 0-6 when it allows at least 70 points and 13-3 when it holds opponents to less than 70.ASSIST-TO-FG RATIO: The Cardinals have recently used assists to create buckets more often than the Broncos. Western Michigan has 27 assists on 63 field goals (42.9 percent) over its past three outings while Ball State has assists on 30 of 64 field goals (46.9 percent) during its past three games.DID YOU KNOW: The sturdy Ball State defense has held opponents to just 61.6 points per game, the 21st-lowest in Division I. Western Michigan has given up an average of 73 points through 22 games (ranked 246th, nationally).___
Registration for the seventh edition of the Okpekpe International 10km Road Race has been officially declared opened as the InternationalAssociation of Athletics Federations (IAAF) and the Association of International Marathons and Distance Races (AIMS) have confirmed Saturday May 25 date for the first and only IAAF silver label road race in Nigeria nay West Africa.For the second year running, the race is the only IAAF silver Label Road Race in Africa listed in the January to May calendar of road races released by the IAAF and AIMS. “As the only road race in West Africa with a silver label status and the only one certified by AIMS in the sub-region of Africa, it is thus expected that we will be listed in the calendar of both the IAAF and AIMS,” stressed race spokesman Dare Esan.He also revealed that registration of intending runners is officially on and it is opened to all categories of runners.“The race is not only for professional athletes who want to run for the prize monies on offer or to improve on their times for ranking purposes. It is also opened to people who want to run for fun or for charity,” he added and revealed how intending runners can be registered.“For quick and easy registration, intending runners for all categories can download the tracking application launched for the race in 2017 or visit the website www.okpekperoadrace.com to register.“We are delighted to announce that intending runners at the seventh edition of the race can also use our tracking application to register for the race,” said Esan.“Runners can also register through our website www.okpekperoadrace.com.Registration will not however be limited to online platforms as we intend to use the Athletics Federation of Nigeria (AFN) and the Edo State Athletics Association to help distribute the registration forms when the time comes. The online platform is mainly for those who are far from the registration points that will be announced in due course.”The Okpekpe international 10km road race is one of only two road races in Nigeria certified by the IAAF and the only one recognised by the Association of International Marathons and Distance Races (AIMS).This year’s race will hold in Okpekpe, a town in Etsakor East Local Government Area of Edo State, Nigeria. It is located about 25 kilometres northeast of Auchi.Last year, Kenya’s Kibet Alex won the men’s title (29.46) while Ethiopia’s Yani Dera Dida emerged the women’s best.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram