first_imgWould you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.last_img

first_imgWould you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.last_img

first_imgWould you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.last_img

first_imgWould you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.last_img

first_imgTo access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletterslast_img

first_imgLOG INDon’t have an account? Register here peatland PeatlandRestorationAgency peatland-restoration forest-fires forest-fires-2019 BRG prevention slash-and-burn-method land-clearing Topics : Forty-year-old Theti Numan Agau recalled the time when her home in Mentangai Hilir village of Kapuas district in Central Kalimantan was engulfed in thick smoke from drained peatland fire in 2015.”Many children had died because of the massive forest fire in 2015. They couldn’t breathe properly because the thick smoke was suffocating,” she said at a discussion in Jakarta on Wednesday.The fire was partly triggered by land clearance using the slash-and-burn technique — a practice that had, Theti explained, been passed down from her ancestors, whereby farmers set the land on fire as a cheap way to clear it for cultivation.However, the massive forest fires of 2015 had persuaded her and other local residents to stop the slash-and-burn method. She added that the government had educated her and other villagers on how to turn peatland into economically productive lan… Google Forgot Password ? Linkedin Log in with your social account Facebooklast_img read more

first_imgJapan on Friday vowed to step up testing and containment efforts for the coronavirus after suffering its first death and the confirmation of new cases, including a doctor and a taxi driver.Japan’s health ministry said Thursday that a woman in her 80s living in Kanagawa prefecture, west of Tokyo, had died. She had been transferred between hospitals as her condition worsened and she was only confirmed to have had the coronavirus after her death.Her death brings to three the number of fatalities from the virus outside Mainland China, where the virus emerged in the city of Wuhan in December and some 1,367 people have died. One person has died in Hong Kong and one in the Philippines. There are nearly 450 confirmed cases in some 24 countries and territories outside China, with 33 in Japan and another 218 on a cruise ship quarantined at a Japanese port.A Tokyo taxi driver, who Japanese media said was the woman’s son-in-law, as well as a man in his 20s just east of Tokyo and a doctor in Wakayama, western Japan, were also confirmed to have the virus.”We will stay in touch with local governments and expand our testing procedures and treatment of patients in order to prevent the spread,” Prime Minister Shinzo Abe told reporters, a day after a task force on the disease drew up measures to deal with it, including spending 10.3 billion yen from budget reserves.Planners will also keep in close contact with Japan’s military, chief cabinet secretary Yoshihide Suga told a news conference, without giving details. Officials in Wakayama later said a man who had been hospitalized at the hospital where the doctor worked had tested positive for the virus, and that another three people were being observed.Both Suga and health minister Katsunobu Kato said there was no evidence the coronavirus, dubbed SARS-CoV-2, was spreading widely in Japan, although Kato said that it might, and the government needed prepare for that.The government would send a team of experts to Wakayama, though officials there said they thought hospital transmission was unlikely.Getting off the ship Unease about the virus in Japan is spreading on social media, with some skeptics saying the government’s response resembled its reaction to the 2011 Fukushima nuclear accident, when it took time for the true extent of the disaster to emerge.”All their comments then were ‘there’s no immediate danger to health’ now they’re saying ‘in an epidemiological sense’ it’s not spreading,” wrote one with the handle Kanzu.”They’re trying to misrepresent it all.”Separately, some passengers on the cruise ship Diamond Princess, which has been moored Yokohama, south of Tokyo, were set to start disembarking as early as Friday instead of waiting for the originally target date of Feb. 19.Elderly passengers who have medical conditions or are in windowless rooms can complete their quarantine onshore, Kato said.The ship was quarantined on arrival in Yokohama on Feb. 3 after a man who disembarked in Hong Kong was diagnosed with the virus.About 80% of the ship’s passengers are 60 years old or older, with 215 in their 80s and 11 in their 90s, according to media. The ship, managed by Princess Cruise Lines and owned by Miami-based Carnival Corp, typically has a crew of 1,100 and a passenger capacity of 2,670.Separately, about 200 Japanese who returned from Wuhan on a second plane chartered by the government tested negative and left quarantine on Friday. center_img Topics :last_img read more

first_img The Asia Championships will be staged in Manila on April 21-26.”Badminton Asia [BA] together with Philippine Badminton Association has been working closely to ensure visa approval for player and officials’ entry into Manila for all participants in this important and prestigious Championship,” BA said in a statement.The coronavirus has forced the postponement or cancellation of several badminton tournaments, disrupting the build-up to the Tokyo Olympics.Topics : Next month’s Badminton Asia Championships have been moved out of Wuhan, epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak, to the Philippine capital Manila, officials said on Wednesday.Numerous sports events have been cancelled, postponed or moved in recent weeks all over the world because of the deadly virus.China, where the virus emerged in December and where more than 2,900 people have died, has been hardest hit with all sports stopped.last_img read more

first_imgDutch King Willem-Alexander has offered an apology over “excessive violence” suffered by Indonesians during the early years of Indonesian independence, acknowledging the period as a “painful separation”.The statement was conveyed by the king after he and Queen Maxima were hosted by President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo in an official ceremony at the Bogor Palace in West Java on Tuesday.”In line with earlier statements by my government, I would like to express my regret and apologies for the excessive violence on the part of the Dutch in those years,” Willem said during a joint press statement on Tuesday. In 2013, then-Dutch ambassador to Indonesia Tjeerd de Zwaan addressed an apology to 10 widows of men who were summarily executed in a series of mass killings in South Sulawesi between December 1946 and February 1947 during military operations by Dutch troops under Raymond Pierre Paul Westerling.The king’s four-day state visit kicked off on Tuesday. It went ahead despite the recent announcement of 19 confirmed COVID-19 cases in Indonesia.The Dutch king also expressed his desire to see a stronger tie between Indonesia and the Netherlands.”Indonesia has a long tradition of religious tolerance and can play a constructive part in this respect. It’s important to continue working together to foster peace, justice and the protection of minorities based on respect for sovereignty and territorial integrity,” King Willem-Alexander said.”And we are keen to work together with you toward this end.”Speaking before Willem, Jokowi emphasized the need for the two countries to forge ahead in a relationship of mutual respect.”Of course, we cannot erase the history, but we can learn from the past. It serves as a lesson for our commitment to grow a relationship that is equal and with mutual respect and mutually-beneficial,” the President said.Topics : “And I do so in the full realization that the pain and sorrow of the families affected continue to be felt today.”Willem’s statement reversed previous Dutch monarchs’ stance of refusing to apologize for the nation’s past war crimes in the country. During the last state visit by a Dutch monarch in 1995, Queen Beatrix was prevented by then-prime minister Wim Kok from offering an apology, saying the Netherlands was not ready.Indonesia declared independence on Aug. 17, 1945, but the Dutch only recognized its sovereignty on Dec. 27, 1949.The Dutch government had apologized several times for its colonial troops’ war crimes conducted between 1945 and 1949 in Indonesia.last_img read more

first_imgIn an effort to facilitate seamless commutes in the city, Jakarta-owned transportation company PT MRT Jakarta, the operator of the country’s first subway system, expected to become the backbone of public transportation in the capital, will establish two new subsidiaries and a joint venture to develop an integrated public transport system.MRT Jakarta president director William Sabandar said the two new subsidiaries would focus on developing supporting facilities and transit-oriented development (TOD) projects, a concept that integrates residential, business and leisure space within walking distance of public transportation.The planned joint venture will involve MRT Jakarta and city-owned companies Transjakarta and Jakarta Propertindo (Jakpro). It focus on integrating the ticketing system of the MRT, the LRT, Transjakarta and angkot (public minivans) operated under the Jak Ling… Forgot Password ? Topics : LOG INDon’t have an account? Register here Log in with your social account Facebook Linkedin Google #MRT MRT public-transportation #PublicTransportation #Jakartalast_img read more