LATEST STORIES Jury of 7 men, 5 women selected for Harvey Weinstein rape trial Cloudy skies over Luzon due to amihan Brazil’s military police post in Santa Catarina confirmed that one of the men in one of the videos was an officer in that southern state and said it would open an administrative disciplinary proceeding to look into his behavior when he returned from Russia.LATAM Airlines Brazil confirmed one of its staff members was in a video and said it had taken “appropriate measures, in line with its code of ethics and behavior.” It would not say what those measures were.The Bar Association of the state of Pernambuco, meanwhile, said one of the men was a lawyer. It criticized one of the videos and noted that Brazil ranks fifth in the world in violence against women, according to the United Nations, and that Brazilian women are frequently subjected to physical and verbal harassment and assault.“The statistics are alarming and lead us to a deep reflection on the need for an urgent change in the macho and patriarchal culture that is still, unfortunately, a part of our society,” the association said.Tiago Fernandes, a professor who took to Twitter to criticize the behavior, said he wasn’t surprised by it but that he thought Brazil is beginning to change.“This kind of behavior always existed but never generated this kind of reaction,” said Fernandes, who lives in the northeastern city of Recife.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next In fight vs corruption, Duterte now points to Ayala, MVP companies as ‘big fish’ Several in Brazil expressed embarrassment that the behavior of some was tarnishing the country’s image, but also acknowledged the actions reflect a worrying strain in Brazilian culture.Leandro Cruz, Brazil’s minister of sports, told journalists in Moscow on Wednesday that the men were “doing an immense disservice to Brazil.”Brazil’s National Council of Women’s Rights said in a statement that the behavior “is evidence of the reality of physical, verbal, psychological and moral aggression that many women often face in Brazil and in the world.”One of the men in a video of Brazilian fans apologized for his actions when contacted by the UOL news agency. But he also said too much was being made of the incident, calling it a joke gone awry amid a party atmosphere and too much alcohol.“We are fathers, workers, and you’re ending our lives,” the agency quoted Luciano Gil, who said he has a daughter, as saying. “I apologize to women who might have felt offended, but this is becoming a tempest in a teapot.”ADVERTISEMENT Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina Bicol riders extend help to Taal evacuees Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding As the videos were shared widely on social media and published by media outlets, some of the Brazilian men were identified, and their employers expressed dismay, promising consequences in some cases.While sexist and offensive behavior was long considered almost inevitable at large sporting events, changing mores and especially increasing awareness of sexual harassment and assault in the wake of the #metoo movement has reduced tolerance for it. For instance, FIFA opened disciplinary proceedings against Mexico after its fans used an anti-gay slur during the team’s World Cup win over Germany.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownCondemnation of the videos came from many quarters, with some lamenting that they had been published at all and others noting that the strong reaction showed that at least this sort of behavior is losing ground.Colombia’s Foreign Ministry tweeted Tuesday that such behavior “not only degrades the woman, but insults other cultures, our language and our country.” For several hours, the ministry pinned the tweet to the top of its feed so it would be the first one read, a sign it considered the matter important. MOST READ FILE – In this June 14, 2018 file photo, fans cheer during a 2018 soccer World Cup group A at the Luzhniki stadium in Moscow, Russia. Some South American fans at the World Cup in Russia are receiving strong criticism for sexist behavior and could even face workplace consequences for posting videos in which fans encourage foreign women to say offensive things in languages they don’t appear to understand. (AP Photo/Felipe Dana, File)SAO PAULO — Some Latin American fans at the World Cup are receiving strong criticism for sexist behavior and could even face workplace consequences for posting videos in which they encourage foreign women to say offensive things in languages they don’t appear to understand.In one of a handful of videos, a group of Brazilian men surround a woman and encourage her to chant with them in Portuguese an offensive word for female anatomy. In another, Colombian fans encourage a woman to repeat offensive things about herself in Spanish. In yet another, fans from Mexico hold a woman up in the air and urge her to use a slang word for a female body part in Spanish.ADVERTISEMENT Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Christopher Tolkien, son of Lord of the Rings author, dies aged 95 Taal victims get help from Kalayaan town ‘Our time is now’: Casey says Detroit Pistons have plenty of talent in place View comments
Coming off a loss is humbling for any mixed martial arts fighter but it was very apparent this week for Brad Stewart that his defeat at the hands of Brendan Kornberger ignited a fire. Stewart was very dialed in and fired up as he needed to compose himself a number of times when it came to discussing his upcoming fight on April 24 against Micah Brakefield.He confessed his wrestling hasn’t been good enough up to this point but credits Fivestar head coach Shawn Albrecht for turning that around leading up to Fivestar Fight League 14.“I definitely don’t want to let that happen again,” Stewart said. “He [Kornberger] came in and was just trying to wrestle me which is something we obviously weren’t working on enough. Going into this next fight, having Shawn Albrecht here now is really helping that out a lot. He’s been working a lot of wrestling with us and really opened my eyes to some things that we were lacking in our training. This time it’s going to be a totally different fight.- Advertisement -We never really trained against the cage or worked pretty much everything Brendan did to me in there. He was just holding me against the cage and really grinding it out. It makes for a boring fight as far as I’m concerned but he won the fight and did really well. Next time it won’t be the same.”When it comes to his expectations for his fight against Brakefield, Stewart wasn’t shy about what he wants to accomplish and it was obvious how bad he wants to win.“This next fight I am looking to completely erase my last loss from everyone’s mind,” he said after an extended pause. “I’m looking to show that I’m a better fighter than I was last time. A lot’s changed from my last fight. My job is different, I’m not working 14 hour days. I’m able to train twice a day. My cardio is great, I feel good. I feel like a completely different guy this time around.”Advertisement When it comes to Brakefield, Fivestar owner Justin Donally says he doesn’t waste any time when he’s in the cage. He’s a fighter that aims for submissions and his bouts rarely go the distance.When it comes to tickets, a few third and fourth row VIP tables are still available, as are some general admission tickets.They can be purchased from Fivestar Athletics, Marc Joseph’s, the Lido Theatre, and The Cat Rental Store, or by calling 250-785-2736.
Furthermore, the contract was drafted in a way that would avoid any such conflict, Garcia said. firstname.lastname@example.org (626) 962-8811, Ext. 2477 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! ROSEMEAD – The Rosemead City Council on Tuesday approved a contract for an attorney whose firm also represents a school district suing the city. Bonifacio “Bonny” Garcia of Los Angeles-based firm Garcia, Calderon and Ruiz, was hired April 3, after longtime city attorney Peter Wallin resigned. Garcia has been working without a contract since then. Councilman John Nu ez recommended that Garcia, who has been a lawyer for more than 25 years, serve as city attorney. The council did not consider any other attorneys. “He is very good at telling people when you are wrong, and he is fair,” Nu ez said Wednesday. Nu ez said he also appreciates the ethnic diversity at the firm. Nu ez said he encouraged Garcia to apply for the position. The same day that Garcia’s appointment was approved, 3-2, he sat in a closed session meeting that discussed anticipated litigation against Nu ez for an alleged sexual harassment claim, although a separate attorney has been assigned since then to handle that lawsuit. While some staff members and residents previously expressed surprise at the council’s decision not to take the contract out to bid, others said they wondered whether the firm’s representation of the Garvey School District, which is suing the city over the construction of Wal-Mart, was a conflict of interest. Though the law firm is the general counsel to the district, none of its attorneys has ever represented the district or have privileged information regarding the existing lawsuit, according to the contract.
As of 9 p.m., the RCMP say the Highway will be closed for a minimum of two hours. Flaggers are en route to that location and the highway will re-open as soon as it is safe. Eyewitnesses in the area suggest a B.C. Ambulance also hit the ditch.The Fort St. John RCMP would like to remind the travelling public that the roads, both within the city and on the highway, are very icy. Please drive carefully and please be patient as we work with our partners to get the highway open as soon as possible.If you’re in the area send us updates by emailing email@example.com or post on our Facebook page.- Advertisement –
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWalnut’s Malik Khouzam voted Southern California Boys Athlete of the Week Bourdais thought he had taken the pole — and the only point needed to win the title — when his final lap was faster than that of Servia. But Bourdais crossed the line 1.6 seconds after the checkered flag waved to end the session. “I thought I had a last lap,” Bourdais said. “Apparently, I crossed the start-finish line as the checkered flag came out. I didn’t know it.” Bourdais will win the title simply by taking the green flag today. On Friday, he was fastest in the first qualifying session and guaranteed himself a spot in the front row. It would be the first back-to-back championships in the 23-year history of the team owned by actor Paul Newman and former racer Carl Haas. Servia finished his fast lap in 1 minute, 32.616 seconds, going 108.642 mph. Bourdais has 311 points. Servia has 244 and 2003 series champion Paul Tracy 216 with two races remaining. Servia joined Newman/Haas just eight weeks ago as a replacement for the injured Bruno Junqueira, the defending champion here. Mario Dominguez, the 2002 champion here, was third-fastest and followed by Cristiano da Matta, who won this race in 2001. Tracy, the 1995 winner in Australia, will start fifth on the grid. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Servia took the lead with about 10 minutes left in the qualifying session and easily handled the street course. “Things were working so smooth — the car, the tires, everything was great,” Servia said. “I think we’re starting in the best possible position, so we’re all ready for tomorrow.” SURFERS PARADISE, Australia — Oriol Servia won the pole for the Lexmark Indy 300 in a car he considered close to perfect. But his success Saturday forced Newman/Haas teammate Sebastien Bourdais to wait another day to take the Champ Car series title for the second consecutive year.
DDTV: A Donegal Ladies gaelic footballer is helping to spread the message of gaelic games abroad.Emma Mundy is GAA mad. And she also plays with the brilliant Manhattan Gaels in New York.When RTE came asking for her to support GAAGO – the national broadcaster’s online streaming service for the Irish diaspora – she gave a big Donegal ‘Yes’.Click play to see her ad! DDTV: DONEGAL LADIES GAELIC GIRL IS FACE OF GAA ABROAD was last modified: June 13th, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegalEmma MundyGAAGAAGOManhattan Gaels
The recently formed Letterkenny Town team has announced the appointment of Mr Dessie Larkin as the new Town Centre Manager.Mr Larkin, a former town and county councillor, recently retired from local politics.On announcing the appointment, Mark Bundschu, who has been leading the initiative, said they are delighted to announce the appointment of Dessie Larkin. “We are confident that the new Town centre Manager has all the key skills required to bring together all the key stakeholders in implementing the plan to revitalise the Town centre.“Since the beginning of this initiative there has been much support and enthusiasm, particularly from the private sector,who are its driving force at present Dessie has very strong networks as well as an excellent understanding of funding and public sector processes, his appointment will be instrumental in giving this initiative a future beyond its initial one year.”It is recognised that 1 in 6 properties in the traditional Town Centre are currently empty and a priority of this project is to attract new retailers to fill the empty spaces while attaining the best retail mix for the town centre.Letterkenny has much to offer visitors.“This appointment is essential to oversee our goals and visions realised. We are delighted with the appointment and are confident that working together with this very clear focus will ensure our town centre will thrive well into the future,” he added. The early days of the initiative will be to prepare an investment prospectus for the Town Centre, detailing the Properties available, the opportunity, and the deficiencies in the current mix of retail.This prospectus will act as a tool in the active recruitment of new tenants who will complement the existing retail offering. As the initiative develops citizen involvement will become even more important and then it will concentrate on making the Town Centre a more attractive place to visit.Dessie was born and reared in Lower Main Street , has lived and worked in this town all his adult life and has come through the selection process as the preferred and most suitable candidate.The Letterkenny Town team said he presented with a broad and extensive knowledge of Letterkenny and its environs, a well established working knowledge of the successes to date and the issues at hand, and a deeply rooted enthusiasm and passion to drive this project to fruition. DESSIE LARKIN IS ANNOUNCED AS NEW LETTERKENNY TOWN MANAGER was last modified: July 17th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Dessie Larkindonegalletterkenny
Dortmund have a tight fixture schedule ahead of themCameras are to be fully zoomed on leaders Borussia Dortmund to detect any signs of vulnerability during their visit to Wolfsburg.Although Lucien Favre’s stylists remain unbeaten, identical 2-2 draws with Hertha Berlin in the Bundesliga and Union Berlin in the DFB Pokal are raising question marks over their durability.Pressure from fixture congestion dictates that Favre must continue rotating his line up to keep the team fresh. But continued chopping and changing seems to be affecting form.Wolfsburg are hoping to further exploit Dortmund’s divided attention as Favre juggles his side in readiness for Tuesday’s Champions League tie away to Atletico Madrid.After being rested for Wednesday’s extra time victory over Union Berlin, teenage revelation Jadon Sancho whose goal involvement has scouts all over Europe salivating, is among a raft of stars set to return to the starting line up on Saturday. With Marco Reus and Paco Alcacer also almost certain to feature, Wolves’ defense will have their hands full containing Dortmund’s three goals per game striking line.Six-time defending champions Bayern Munich are cast iron favourites to dispatch Freiburg in one of Saturday’s ties.Robert Kovac’s Bavarians are in fine fettle after converting a four-game winless run, into a four match winning streak.However, Bundesliga action commences Friday night with Stuttgart taking on Eintracht Frankfurt at the Mercedes Benz Arena.A change in management has not yet yielded dividends for Stuttgart who are in danger of falling into a relegation scrap.Frankfurt are counting on returning Croatian international Ante Rebic and Sebastian Holler to deliver goals while Stuttgart are reliant on misfiring veteran Mario Gomez.A particularly appetizing fixture to look forward to is the visit of Julian Nagelsman’s Hoffenheim to Heikko Herrlich’s Bayer Leverkusen.Goals galore are anticipated in this clash as between them, the two teams fired in ten goals last weekend.In other fixtures, Borussia Monchengladbach want nothing but victory against newcomers Fortuna Dusseldorf whereas fellow surprise challengers Werder Bremen are keen to bounce back from last week’s embarrassing 2-6 reversal at home to Bayer Leverkusen in Sunday’s trip to Mainz.FRIDAY:-Stuttgart v Eintracht FrankfurtSATURDAY:-Bayer Leverkusen v Hoffenheim-Bayern Munich v Freiburg-Augsburg v Nuremberg-Wolfsburg v Borussia Dortmund-Schalke v Hannover-Hertha Berlin v RB LeipzigSUNDAY:-Borussia Moenchengladbach v Fortuna Dusseldorf-Mainz v Werder BremenComments Tags: German Bundesliga